Summer is finally here which means it’s time to soak up the summer sun and cool off in your favorite watering hole. It’s important to pack all the essential summer beach items to ensure you and the kids are protected from the sun and entertained while you’re soaking in some rays.
Whether you and the kids are splashing in a swimming pool or hanging out at the beach, we have a list of ten must have items to survive your day chillin’ by the water.
10 Must-Have Items for Mom’s Beach Bag:
1. Life Jacket and/or goggles. If you’re kids are clever swimmers, goggles are in order to keep their eyes from turning red. If they are beginning swimmers, a life jacket or floaties are a must. Be sure your kids know the water safety rules well and NEVER leave them unattended if they are not strong swimmers.
2. Cover-up. A cover-up, one piece dress or even a large t-shirt can keep the kids warm after swimming or simply help give their shoulders a break from the sun until they’re ready to dive in the water again.
3. A hat. A hat is a must have to protect little (and big) faces. If your kids aren’t into hats, grab a one size fits all so it can serve anyone who needs it.
4. Sunglasses. Grab sunglasses that offer good UV protection to prevent squinting eyes when the kids are focused on building their monster sandcastle or when they decide to chill poolside with a book. This will help protect against the harsh glaring sun when they need it.
5. Sunscreen. Pack your favorite waterproof sunblock with an SPF of 30 or more and be sure it’s not last year’s bottle. The effectiveness diminishes over time so stock up on a new bottle. We like the quick application sunscreen so the kids can spray and play. Be sure to apply it often especially when they are out of the water. Don’t forget to slather on yourself as well.
6. Beach towel. This one seems simple enough but having a beach towel that is a kid friendly size is important. There are so many colorful patterns to choose from these days. You can also opt for the beach wraps that serve as a towel and a cover up.
7. A bottle of water or two. You need to keep everyone hydrated while out in the summer heat so water is the beverage of choice. Keep it earth friendly and fill up a reusable water bottle so you can refill and use it all season long.
8. Snacks. It always seems that once you’ve slathered on the sunscreen, put the life jackets on and settle into your comfy zone your hear, “I’m hungry!” Be prepared by packing a little snack to keep the crowd from rioting. Fruit such as grapes, oranges and banana’s survive the heat pretty well as do pretzels, popcorn, raisins and nuts. Avoid anything that has the possibility of melting or you’ll have a gooey mess on your hands.
9. Dry Clothes. It seems obvious to pack a dry outfit but this is usually what my kids forget and they’re left to ride home in a damp bathing suit in a cold air conditioned car. A change of clothes also means you can run that errand you keep forgetting about or take the kids out for ice-cream rather than going straight home when you’re done swimming.
Any other must-haves items that didn’t make the list? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
We hope our top 10 list will help you prepare as you venture out sun worshipping at the beach or the pool the summer. Soak up that vitamin D and enjoy the lazy days of summer with the family!