It’s that time of year when marked down merchandise is hauled to the front of the store for quick sale. It’s always fun to charge through the racks to find a great bargain but in order to maximize your savings, you need to shop wisely. Whether you’re filling in your child’s summer wardrobe or you’re ready to stock up for next year, it’s always good to have a plan.
*Here are a few tips for making the most of Sidewalk Sales…
- Keep sizes in mind. If you’re buying ahead, you most likely are guessing what size your child will be next year. Shorts and dresses are most forgiving if you miss the sizing mark. Shorts can vary in length and many have adjustable waist bands. Dresses can be worn long or short. So, if the size isn’t quite right on these items, don’t sweat it!
- Shop familiar stores. If your child is partial to a certain store, stick with it. Some kids are very particular when it comes to their wardrobe (especially tweenagers). The goal is for the clothing to be worn otherwise, it’s just taking up valuable closet space. It’s also much easier to determine sizing when you’re familiar with the brands cut.
- Think Ahead. Before you hit the store, take a quick inventory of what your kids really need. If they already have a drawer full of shorts, buying more (even at bargain prices) won’t be wise. Remember, summer tanks, tees and dresses work great in early fall when paired with long sleeved button downs, sweaters and hoodies. So go ahead and stock up.
- Keep it basic. When buying ahead for next season, avoid trends. What is cool this season may be “so last week” the next. Solid tees and tanks are great for layering in the fall and winter and on their own in the summer. Don’t forget pj’s, socks and undies are year round staples. You might as well save money on those items.
- Use coupons. Often times during the big sales additional discounts are not accepted in stores but they are online. (Case in point: J Crew online has an extra 20% off final sale items with code Extra 20 right now). Keep an eye on our What’s on Sale updates at Loobalee and other sites such as Retail Me Not and Coupon Cabin for additional discounts and free shipping for online retailers.
- Let the kids choose. I know it can be counter productive at times but letting the kids tag along will help the deals you pick up actually get some wear time. They also tend to save you money by giving the thumbs down on the things they won’t touch. Plus, it’s a great way to spend some time teaching them the value of shopping smart.
- If you don’t need it, don’t buy it. Sometimes those deep discounts get your heart racing but if it’s not practical or useful, it’s just a waste of your precious money.
- Last but not least, enjoy the hunt! Sometimes you can hit the jackpot. Such as last year’s winter coat for a steal. Even though it’s hard to think of bundling your baby up when it’s 80 degrees outside. It’ll be worth the savings when the weather turns cold. That’s the fun of the summer blowout sales… you never know what you’re going to uncover. &
Do you have any money saving tips or buy ahead tricks? Let us know in the comment section below.