We know it’s difficult to think of fall school shopping in July but for those who have a game plan for the back to school rush will end up spending less and being more prepared when August rolls around.
- Start early. Even if you’re not ready to hit the stores quite yet, a little forethought will help make it easier when we’re on the back side of summer. It will also keep must have items on your mind in case you stumble upon a deal.
- Shop at home first. It’s easy to forget what you set aside and packed away last spring. If you are a savvy shopper, you may have stocked up on school supplies or fall clothing when stores were bringing out the swimwear and sunscreen. Gather up all those fall items in one spot so you have a good inventory of what you already have.
- Make a list. Once you figure out what you have on hand, write up your list for each child. School shopping can be overwhelming sometimes so picking up basics early will help with hassle later. Everyone needs a book bag, basic school supplies (folders or binders, pens, pencils, erasers, scissors and glue sticks), a new pair or shoes and/or sneakers for gym class and an everyday jacket for when the weather gets colder.
- Hold out for a Sale. Since you are so well prepared, you can afford to peruse the Sunday paper for the best sales and wait for online deals like free shipping.
- Shop Now. We are starting to see inventory change over in retail store and online. Sometimes these early bird sales are the best all season. The bonus, shopping early allows you the best selection so while everyone else is lounging by the pool, you’re scooping up the savings.
With these five tips in your back pocket, you’ll be sure to ready before the school bells start to ring again.
Tell us what you think… Are you starting to gear up for back to school yet?