Give your favorite sweater a new purpose and make a great gift!
We found this great upcycling idea for making a felted sweater phone cozy from Craftbits but you don’t have to stick with wool sweaters to craft this unique and practical gift. Use fabric from your kids favorite outgrown sweatshirt or pair of jeans, especially the name brands that kids love. Add embellishments, rhinestones, iron-ons or fabric paints to make a fun phone case for all the tweens and teens on your holiday gift list.
- Cut a square of fabric to measure 6 inches by 6 inches.
- Fold in half and stitch up two sides, leaving one side open for the top. If sewing by hand, stitch the seam twice to secure it.
- Cut a 1-1/2 inch square of fabric and stitch it to the center of the pouch.
- Thread a shoelace starting at the top left side of the pouch approx. 1/2 inch from the top and tie to make the phone cozy closure. Cut the excess shoelace to use in step 5. Hint: Use a pencil or sharp tip of scissors to get a hole started in the fabric for easier threading.
- Tie the remaining shoe lace into a bow and stitch it onto the center square from step 3.
- Thread a key ring through the top right side of the pouch and enjoy giving!
This is an easy way to upcycle and the kids can help craft one of a kind gifts for their friends. After all, there really is nothing more special than giving a gift made by hand!