If your kids will be attending camp this summer, you’ll want to send them off well prepared for whatever the days bring. While oftentimes it’s difficult to think of everything, we’ve got a list of items below to get you started.
- Waterproof Shoes – Shoes that have a strong sole and are made of quick drying material are key for summer camp.
- Flip flops – Quick and easy to throw on at the drop of a hat and will protect their feet in community bathrooms.
- Swimsuits – Chances are your kids will be participating in water activities from canoeing to plain ‘ol swimming. Make sure they have at least two swimsuits this way one will always be dry and ready to go.
- Sweatshirt or Light Weight Jacket - It’s always good to have a quick throw on jacket or hoodie to keep them warm on a cool summer night.
- Jeans – Even though it will most likely be warm, it’s smart to have a long pair of jeans or pants to cover their legs for hiking, horseback riding or any activities where mosquitoes love to nibble on ankles.
- Pj’s – Don’t send them off without some comfy sleepwear. If they’re not into pajamas, sweatpants and sleep tees work well too.
- Shorts & Tees – Plenty of shorts and loose fitting tees for whatever the day brings are a staple for kids summer camp wardrobe.
- Sun Protection- The kids will be outdoors a lot at summer camp. Don’t forget to pack a sunhat, a shirt with UV protection and plenty of sunscreen.
- Extras - A deck of cards, a favorite stuffed animal, a pillow and sleeping bag, stationary and stamps for writing home, a few large Ziploc bags for holding wet clothing, toiletries, photos of family to make them feel at home, towels, flashlight and bug spray.
Before you zip up the suitcase, take a moment to think through the type of activities the kids will be involved in to be sure you don’t miss anything. Lastly, don’t forget to take along a pack of tissues for teary eyes when it’s time to send them off.
What did we miss? If you have any must have items to pack for summer camp that are not on the list above, leave a comment below.